Prep Hacks: are the go to in order to have nutritionally dependable foods on hand when ever you need them! Patties are my go to in reducing waste, by utilising ingredients you have on hand, to make in bulk and to further more make your progression with healthy eating that little bit easier!
Planning what you are going to create is an essential tool, I'll try to make a large amount of patties to last me the month, when I'm tired, busy at work, wanting to save money from eating out as well as just to have healthy food on hand!
With any meal I try to obtain an element of green within each recipe, living on a plant based diet, consuming a wide range of greens ensures that I am hitting my daily target for both my vitamin and mineral intake, with that too, ensuring i'm eating a range of proteins in each meal to obtain a complete protein. All of my recipes obtain a complete plant based protein to help get you there!
This recipe can serve as a staple to any patty recipe, here are a few tips to make the ultimate healthy patty!
Prep Hack Tips!
1. Ensure you have alternatives flours stocked, my staples are Buckwheat and Besan (chickpea flour)
2. Binders: Use a cooked starch such as (in this case) Sweet Potato plus always add a Chia Egg (2 tbsp chia soaked in 1/4 cup water)
3. Always set in the fridge before frying, with any left overs, cover in a container uncooked and place in the freezer to have on hand to defrost for a quick and healthy protein staple!
- 1 head of broccoli roughly chopped
- 1 cup of cooked sweet potato
- 1 fennel (optional) finely chopped
- 4 leaves of kale finely diced
- 4 spring onions finely chopped, including green stem
- 1 cup besan flour
- 1 chia egg (2 tbsp chia soaked in 1/4 cup water)
- 1/2 cup almond or rice milk
- zest and juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Sesame Seeds
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Prep all ingredients as directed
- Make chia egg, allow to sit until absorbed and thickened
- In a food processor blitz broccoli until fine
- Add in kale, spring onion and fennel, blitz until fine
- Add in remaining ingredients until a sticky dough like consistency forms
- If too runny add a little more flour, if too dry add a little more liquid
- Make mixture into patty like shapes, roll in sesame seeds, repeat with remaining mixture
- Place in fridge to set for 10 minutes
- Heat a large fry pan with a little oil, then pan fry on a medium heat each side for 4-5 minutes until browned
- With remaining patties, place in a covered container, then place in the freezer for a quick and easy protein on the go!