Strawberry Coconut Jam
with Nourishing Millet Porridge
For all you sweet toothes out there, there's so much you can do and utilise with the simplicities of natural sugars. Jams and compotes are so easy to make, plus serve as and added bonus to be affective with waste management of ingredients! You can go a long way with what you have in the freezer, ensuring you are using the best ingredients, simple, add a little liquid, spice and crunch! There's not right or wrong!
Having this on hand in the fridge can help take your meals from bland to nutritionally zinging with flavour and nourishment! A simple quick effort and you'll have it for weeks.. if you don't eat it all straight away! Part of my 10 Day Detox Diary Challenge looks at removing processed sugars and substances from the diet, to replace with natural, nourishing and healthy options! As seen below I've topped this on top of my Millet Porridge recipe, a staple for a nourishing breakfast or dessert!
- 1.5 cups frozen organic strawberries
- + 1/2 cup mixed frozen berries optional
- 4-5 softened dates
- juice and zest of one small orange
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamon
- In a small saucepan, add in all ingredients besides the coconut over a medium simmering heat, cover with the lid to sit for around 5 minutes.
- Pressing with a fork every couple of minutes to help break down the berries
- Remove lid after 5-7 minutes for the liquid to evaporate and the ingredients to naturally thicken, turn the heat down to low.
- Once the berries have broken down, add in the coconut and turn off the heat, allow to sit with the lid on to steam.
- Remove from heat, using a fork break down and mix ingredients together thoroughly
- In a very clean jar, transfer jam mixture, allow to completely cool before covering with a lid and transferring to the fridge!
- Serve as a delicious topping for oats, spreads or toppings to ice cream!