Sweet Potato, Black Bean, Cacao Brownies with a Delicious Peanut Butter topping!
If you're like me and have a sweet tooth taking high reign in your routinely palette cleansers... it's essential to build an understanding of knowing how to naturally swap to all wholesome natural sweeteners and sugars instead of the highly addictive processed stuff!
People are often shocked at what can be created with whole-food ingredients, this recipe is defiantly one for the books! Even if your face is a little skewed at the concept of having black beans or sweet potatoes as the key elements! You're not only getting a sweet hit to your day, but lots of good natural fibres and added protein!
Since swapping out my sugars many years ago, dealing with acid reflux for years, changing to a plant based, whole-foods diet has made life that little bit easier. Being kinder and more aware of what does and doesn't work for my body, in my case highly processed foods were/are a big No No, leaving me with highly painful and unpleasant acid reflux primarily caused from processed sugars and acids from preservatives! Being able to still treat myself, create delicious whole-foods treats and make the commitment to my body, really takes the stress away as well as the mindset of "Not having enough" to "Utilising what I can have"
Get creative with your ingredients, utilise what you have on hand, there's not right or wrong way of cooking, the best way to explore is to test it out yourself!
- 1 cup baked or boiled sweet potato
- 1 can organic black beans
- 2 tbsp chia meal soaked in 1/3 cup nut mylk (processed chia seeds)
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 cup organic gluten free self raising flour
- or 1 cup almond meal + 1 tsp aluminium free baking powder
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup rapadura or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup buckwheat
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- + 1/2 cup chopped raw chocolate
- pinch of salt
Peanut Butter Topping:
- 3 tbsp organic peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
- 1.5 tbsp organic maple syrup
- 1/3 cup nut mylk
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius
- Line a slice tray with baking paper
- Soak chia meal to create chia egg
- In a food processor blitz the black beans, sweet potato and coconut oil until well combined
- Add in remaining ingredient besides the raw chocolate
- Taste and sweeten to your liking
- If a little dry add some more coconut oil or a splash of nut mylk
- If too wet add a little more flour or almond meal
- Once all ingredients are mixed together, stir through chocolate
- Transfer mixture to baking tray, bake for around 40-45 minutes until slightly browned and hardened on the top (the middle will stay quite "squishy")
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting
- To make the peanut butter topping combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl, use your muscles to mix together well until nice and smooth!
- Cut the brownies into desired shapes, top with peanut butter topping and some cacao nibs for crunch!
- Once cooled, keep in an airtight container in the fridge!
- Eat mindfully... Enjoy!
We love seeing your remakes! Don't forget to tag us @thecorehealth #thecorehealtheats x